Do you need help understanding all the crazy terms surrounding mattress shopping these days? At Crowley Furniture you have a friend in the Mattress business. We’ve redesigned the Mattress section of our website to better assist you in your pre-shopping Mattress experience. Why do we say “pre-shopping”? Because the ONLY way to be sure you’re going to get your best night’s sleep is to visit one of our Perfect Sleep Centers in any of our three stores and lie on them for yourself. Our Sales Associates have been trained by Greg Crowley himself, who has been selling mattresses for over 50 years, as well as representatives from each of our manufacturers. They care about the quality of your sleep knowing that it impacts the quality of your life.
THE FIRST STEP
When visiting our website Mattresses page you’ll have many choices to view when selecting a Mattress. This is your first step. It is our goal to help you better understand some of the terms and options available in the Mattress industry today so you can make a better, more educated decision. Choose any of our filters in any order:
- FILTER BY BRAND At Crowley Furniture we carry the top rated Mattresses from trusted leading bedding manufacturers. Get to know them a little better through their roots:
o Sealy: A look back on the history of Sealy details a reputation built on over 130 years of experience, iconic branding and innovative technology. In 1881 Daniel Haynes, cotton gin owner, invented a Mattress stuffed with cotton in Sealy, TX. And Sealy was born. In 1950 the first Posturepedic Mattress was introduced with “additional back support”. In 2012 a new line of gel memory foam Mattresses was introduced called the Optimum series. In 2013 Sealy introduced its first Hybrid Mattresses consisting of half memory foam/half innersprings. Now Sealy truly had something for everyone.
o Tempur-Pedic: Based on a product developed in the 1960’s by NASA, Tempur Innovation began when scientists invented Tempur Material and reinvented the Mattress. Tempur Material reacts continuously to your body’s specific shape, weight and temperature delivering the cushioning you want and the support you need to fully relax. Tempur scientists continue to innovate to reach their goal of a bed for every body.
o Serta: Serta has been a pioneer in comfort since they introduced their very first Perfect Sleeper Mattress to the world in 1931. Since then, they’ve brought many “firsts” to the industry, including their breakthrough iComfort Sleep System featuring the latest in gel memory foam technology. In 2000 the beloved Serta Counting Sheep were introduced as brand icons. In 2012 Serta achieved the ranking of #1 Mattress manufacturer in the United States.
o Stearns & Foster: More than 165 years ago George Stearns and Seth Foster dreamed of something bigger and better. Since 1846 Stearns & Foster has been hand-crafting Mattresses with the very best materials available. But material quality is only half the story. Stearns & Foster puts just as much emphasis on crafting quality. And crafting quality takes time. Twice the time, in fact. Each Stearns & Foster Mattress is meticulously crafted taking twice as long to construct. Experience the Stearns & Foster difference and discover their Legacy of Innovation.
o Justice: Founded in 1957 in Lebanon, Missouri by Bill and Lois Wampler, Justice Furniture and Bedding proudly serves quality products throughout the Midwest. Still housed in the same location as the original manufacturing plant, the company is run today by Bill and Lois’ son Dan and their granddaughter Angie. Justice focuses on natural latex, also called Talalay latex, Mattresses and no one does it better than them.
- FILTER BY TYPE We’re often asked “What’s the best Mattress?” The answer to that is simple: The best Mattress is the one that’s right for you. It’s not always the most expensive or the most technologically advanced but the one that fits you just right. Here’s what’s going on under those Mattress covers that makes each Mattress unique:
o Innerspring: A traditional Mattress made of individually pocketed coil springs encased
in layers of foam padding for maximum support, minimum motion transfer and the ability to conform to your body shape.
o Hybrid: A Mattress made of individually pocketed coil springs on the bottom half and high-quality latex or memory foam on the top half to provide comfort and deep-down support.
o Memory Foam: A Mattress made of layers of specialty foam that conforms to your body temperature, shape and size and eliminates pressure-points.
o Tempur- Pedic: Both a brand and a type, Tempur-Pedic is the ultimate foam Mattress made of a uniquely premiere specialty foam material that responds to your body temperature, shape and size.
o Natural Latex: A Mattress made of latex
foam that supports your body shape and size and eliminates pressure points while remaining quickly responsive to your movements.
- FILTER BY COMFORT This topic is difficult to categorize since comfort is a very relative matter. No two person’s comfort level is the same. How an individual determines if a Mattress is soft or firm depends on many factors and personal preferences. What one person may find super firm another may find not firm enough. With that understanding, we’ve grouped our Mattresses into four levels of firmness that are meant to be a guideline rather than a rule.
o Firm: Provides inner core support with a compressed padded top for added firmness.
o Medium-Firm: Provides inner core support with a slightly padded top for a moderately soft feel.
o Plush: Provides inner core support with multiple padded top layers for cushiony comfort.
o Ultra-Plush: Provides inner core support with multiple padded top layers, often a pillow-top, for super softness.
- FILTER BY SIZE Our website features a Mattress size chart that shows the differences between standard Mattresses. Here’s a breakdown of how Mattress sizing works:
o Twin: A Twin size bed is 39” wide and 75” long. It is perfect for a kid or teen room, a senior downsizing to a smaller space or anyone living in cozy quarters.
o Twin XL: A Twin XL (short for Extra Long) is 39” wide and 80” long. This size mattress is common for college students living in dorms or campus apartments. The extra length requires sheets specifically made for Twin XL beds.
o Full: A Full size bed is 54” wide and 75” long. This size is also referred to as a double bed. It is often used as a next-step bed in kid and teen rooms. Antique beds often require this size along with smaller rooms accommodating two sleepers. Actual sleep surface for each individual is the same amount as in a baby crib so, if space allows, most adults prefer to go up in size.
o Queen: A Queen size bed is 60” wide and 80” long. This is the most common size bed sold today. Being 6” wider and 5” longer than a Full size, it is comfortable for two adults without overtaking a mid-size room.
o King: A King size bed is 78” wide and 80” long, the same length as a Queen. The King size bed is increasing in popularity but requires a larger sized room to allow space to move around beside it and at the foot as well as space needed for dressers, nightstands and other bedroom furnishings.
o California King: A California King size bed is 72” wide and 85” long. While not a commonly purchased size, it is popular with folks that are taller as it is the longest mattress available.
- FILTER BY PRICE Budget is always a consideration when making any purchase and our Sales Associates factor this in when helping you select your Mattress. Think carefully about your bedding budget, we often compromise in this area for a number of reasons such as the belief that all Mattresses are the same, no one ever sees it and we’d rather put more money into other home furnishings. While a Mattress purchase doesn’t offer an opportunity to select fun fabrics or improve the look of your home it genuinely affects your quality of life. Without truly restful sleep you can’t be the best you when you’re awake. Isn’t that worth a bigger budget? To help you with your budget considerations, we’ve categorized our Mattresses into the following groups:
o $500 or less
o $500 to $1000
o $1000 to $2000
o $2000 to $3000
o $3000 to $4000
o $4000 or more
SELECT A FOUNDATION
Selecting the actual Mattress is the first step of your Mattress buying experience. The second is to determine which type of foundation best suits you and your lifestyle. There are two main options for a foundation but each has several variables to consider. Watch this video of Greg Crowley as he explains Mattress foundations:
As Greg described there are many types of foundations available to you, each has it’s features and benefits:
- Box Springs: A basic wood frame with cross supports that gives a Mattress a solid base for strength and stability.
o Traditional: This 9” height Box Springs is the most frequently used as a Mattress foundation, it is also the lowest priced of all foundations.
o Lo-Profile: This 5” height Box Springs is available for those who want their bed to sit lower off the floor. It is offered at the same price as a Traditional Box Springs.
- Adjustable Bases: Becoming increasingly more popular, these bases are used by all ages. Losing the stigma of a “hospital bed”, Adjustable Bases have now become known as “Lifestyle Bases” providing higher levels of customized comfort for all you need to do from bed such as watching TV, reading, reducing snoring, working on a laptop or tablet, reducing acid reflux and more. Just about any Mattress can accommodate an Adjustable Base and with a variety of features, any budget can afford an Adjustable Base.
o Head-Up only: A remote control, usually wired, raises your head into a more comfortable position.
o Head and Feet Up: A remote control raises your head and feet independently for a more natural rest position.
o Massaging: A remote control raises your head and feet and also offers zoned massaging at various intensities.
o Electronics Compatible: In addition to raising your head and feet and massage capabilities, control your Adjustable Base from your mobile device and plug in or charge electronics from ports directly on the Adjustable Base.
COMPLETE YOUR MATTRESS PURCHASE
Bedding Accessories such as Pillows and Mattress Protectors can also play a big role in your sleep experience. Our pillows from BedGear, the folks who believe Sleep Fuels Everything, are scientifically crafted to accommodate every type of sleeper. Their Pillows are customized by sleeping style such as back, stomach or side sleepers as well as by body type. Our Sales Associates can help fit you for your perfect Pillow. Click here to see how Laura Crowley finds her perfect Pillow.
Mattress Protectors are also key, not to improve comfort but to protect your investment from stains or spills that may affect your warranty. Their liquid-resistant properties will keep your Mattress clean while not interfering with its responsiveness. And what could be more simple than removing the Mattress Protector, tossing it in the washer and dryer and replacing it on your bed? Easy breezy.
IS YOUR NEW MATTRESS SET COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR BEDROOM FURNITURE?
When our Delivery Team arrives at your door with your new Mattress Set, we want to be sure there are no unwanted surprises. Your Sales Associate will ask you about the bed that you will be using with the Mattress Set you’re considering. Does it have a Headboard? Does it have a Footboard? Is it a Storage Bed? These questions are vital to be sure all of the components of your bed and Mattress Set will work together.
MATTRESS SHOPPING TIPS FROM GREG
To make your Mattress shopping experience the best it can be, consider these tips from Greg Crowley:
- Wear comfortable clothing – It is impossible to successfully shop for Mattresses without lying down. All of our beds have foot covers so you can comfortably put your feet up on the bed without worry. You will also need to be able to turn and roll over while testing the Mattresses.
- Allow Ample Time – With all of the options for Mattresses these days you should not rush through your research process. Plan to try out many different styles of Mattresses spending several minutes on each one to truly get the feel for how it contours and conforms to your body. You will also want to be sure to test each of the Mattresses from different positions: lying on your back, side and stomach, spending extra time in your favorite sleep position.
- Ask Questions – Technology is changing rapidly in the world of Mattresses. Don’t be afraid to ask questions of your Sales Associate, that’s what they’re here for.
- Come Prepared – Be sure to know the size of your bed (measure if you are unsure) and what you will be placing the Mattress on. Your Sales Associate will need this information to correctly advise you through the process.
AND WHAT ABOUT…???
Are there still some things that you find a bit unclear? Here are the answers to some of our most Frequently Asked Mattress Questions:
- Do I need a Mattress Pad or Protector? You absolutely need a Mattress Protector but be leery of a mattress pad. A mattress pad implies just that, the covering is made of padding and you want to stay away from extra layers between you and the Mattress technology that is conforming to your specific body temperature and weight.
- Can I buy a Mattress only? All of our Mattresses can be purchased separately from a box springs or other foundation to be used with beds that require a Mattress only such as a storage or platform bed.
- Can I use my existing box springs? We always recommend purchasing a Mattress and box springs or foundation as a set. The foundation plays a very important role in supporting your Mattress and those that sleep on it. Even though a box springs may not show wear and tear it actually is weakening on the inside and after time will not be able to successfully support the weight we put on top of it.
- Do you haul away old Mattress Sets? Yes. When your new Mattress is delivered our drivers will be happy to haul away your old Mattress and box springs.
- Is there a fee to haul away old Mattress Sets? There is a small fee that we charge for this service which covers our cost to dispose of the items.
- Will your Delivery Team set-up my new Mattress? Absolutely. Our Delivery Team will bring your new Mattress Set into your bedroom and put it in place. If you’ve purchased an Adjustable Foundation they will plug it in and be sure all functions are working properly.
- What do I need to do to prepare for my Mattress delivery? We ask that you clear the walk to your door of snow and ice as well as the path to the bedroom of any obstacles. Remove all covers, sheets and pillows from the existing Mattress so our Delivery Team can put your new Mattress Set in place.
- What if I don’t like my Mattress after it’s delivered? Some Mattresses are non-returnable which is why we work so hard to be sure you select the best Mattress for your needs. There are, however, Mattresses that come with a 90-Day Comfort Guarantee. Click here to learn more about it.
- What does “Dual King” mean? Most King beds consist of one mattress and two Twin XL foundations that make up the king box springs or base. A dual king is actually two separate Twin XL mattress each on its own Twin XL Adjustable Foundation. This creates a standard King size bed but will allow each individual to separately control their Adjustable Foundation settings.
- Should I flip my mattress? Mattresses are not made to be flipped anymore however they should be rotated approximately every six months.
All of our Crowley Furniture stores in the Kansas City area have a wide variety of Mattresses for you to test. Why wait to have your best sleep ever, visit us today. In Liberty, Lee’s Summit and Overland Park, we make Sweet Dreams our business.