It’s that time again to look back at our furniture year in review to see which groups were in greatest demand among the vast items offered at our Crowley Furniture stores throughout the Kansas City area. Let’s see if we can uncover the secrets that made the Top 3 Living Room Furniture Sets of 2016 more popular than others.
Meet the collections and their makers that top our list of Hot Furniture Items for 2016:
INSPIRE RECLINING COLLECTION by SOUTHERN MOTION
This is on of our favorite living room furniture sets. This reclining collection is accented with subtle back and foot-rest tufting and “window-pane” stitching. These linear details are softened by the attached head and arm pillows. Customers love the ability to create an ensemble for their room using multiple pieces of the collection or mix ‘n match with other collections for a customized result. This collection includes a:
- Reclining Sofa – A three cushion piece with manual recliners at each end of the sofa. The middle is a stationary seat.
- Power Reclining Sofa – A three cushion piece with power recliners at each end of the sofa. The middle is a stationary seat.
- Reclining Loveseat – A two cushion piece with manual recliners at each seat.
- Power Reclining Loveseat – A two cushion piece with power recliners at each seat.
- Reclining Loveseat with Console – A two cushion piece with manual recliners at each seat and a padded armrest in between containing two cupholders and a hinged top for storage.
- Power Reclining Loveseat with Console – A two cushion piece with power recliners at each seat and a padded armrest in between containing two cupholders and a hinged top for storage.
- Wallsaver Recliner – A free-standing manual recliner.
- Power Wallsaver Recliner – A free-standing power recliner.
- Rocking Recliner – A free-standing manual recliner that also rocks.
- Power Rocking Recliner – A free-standing power recliner that also rocks.
- Corner Wedge (non-reclining) – A curved corner piece that joins two sofas or loveseats to form an L-shaped sectional.
If your room is the perfect layout for a sectional, this collection can accommodate! Place the non-reclining corner wedge between any combination of the sofas, loveseats or loveseats with consoles and voila! you now have a sectional.
In terms of living room furniture sets, this one has many appealing features to its appearance. Its comfort, however, is possibly its best asset. With super comfy seat, back and arm cushioning it’s a dream to sit and lie on, but the fact that it reclines pushes its comfort level way over the top. Available in both power and manual reclining options you get to pick which is best for you. While manual recliners don’t need to be plugged in to an outlet and therefore work the same way throughout a power outage, we think power is definitely the way to go. Power recliners have a slightly higher price tag than manual recliners but the benefits justify the cost. If you’re wanting living room furniture sets that make your home feel like a home theater, go with one that has power recliners. Power recliners allow you a wide range of positions in which to find your comfort sweet spot, you aren’t limited to three as you find in most manual recliners. Power recliners are easier to operate than a manual recliner, all positions are achieved with the touch of a button. And power reclining mechanisms are easier on the frame of the piece since they are more gentle on the infrastructure than a manual operator would be. Easier to use, more comfortable and longer lasting, sounds like power is king! And this group is even available with the new power headrest feature which allows you to raise and lower the headrest only, independent from the rest of the chair.
Since the cover of your upholstery is key to loving a piece, this collection offers a vast selection of current fabric, leather-look and leather covers for you to choose from.As far as living room furniture sets go, this one should impress the whole family.
The Inspire collection is manufactured by Southern Motion, a company founded in Pontotoc, MS in 1996. As far as living room furniture sets go, this one truly embodies Southern living. Their motion furniture is American-made by southern crafts-people. They aim to share the perfect harmony of life found on the back roads of southern culture, the kind of comfort you can sink into, a place one longs to stay, a serenity and oasis at the end of every long, hard day.
FRISCO UPHOLSTERY COLLECTION by FLEXSTEEL
This stationary upholstery collection has everything going for it: great design, quality construction and tons of customization options. It ranks as one of our favorite living room furniture sets for this reason. The eye-catching group features padded roll arms, generous stacked bun feet, subtle nailhead trim and a rolled back that is attractive from any angle. This transitionally-styled upholstery collection includes a:
- Sofa – Options for personalization are virtually endless with this group. Pick a favorite fabric, leather or leather-look cover then select a coordinating finish for the legs. The choices don’t stop there though, decide on the perfect metal finish for the nailhead trim and with four pillows included with the sofa frame you can mix up your accent fabrics as well. This sofa has a lot of personality and once you get done with it, it’ll match your personality. What’s not to love?!
- Loveseat – We all know loveseats are smaller versions of sofas. Everything is the same minus the middle seat. With the Frisco collection the loveseat comes with three accent pillows. If you have a cozy space in your home that is short on square footage, this loveseat could be used alone or combined with a small accent chair or ottoman.
- Chair and Ottoman – You have many choices when it comes to chairs for your living spaces. You can elect to furnish your space with all pieces from one collection or you can mix it up with pieces that don’t match but do coordinate. The Frisco living room set includes a chair and its matching ottoman which you can use as a pair or not. If space is limited or you are using a cocktail ottoman as your cocktail table, you may want to skip the ottoman and use the chair alone. If your room is able to support the matching ottoman it will increase the comfort of the chair and also serve as extra seating when you have guests over.
- How does a matching living room set affect the overall design of a room? In most cases the room will have a very tailored, cohesive and structured vibe, often feeling more formal than a room with non-matching pieces. If you prefer your space to feel a bit more relaxed consider coordinating pieces from various collections. Some guidelines to keep in mind when selecting groups to partner in your space:
- Too much “sameness”: Be sure the design details are different enough that it is clear you intended to put these unrelated pieces together. If they are too similar it will appear that you tried to match and failed.
- Proportion: Keep scale in mind so no one piece overwhelms (or underwhelms) the others in the room.
- How you use the room: Always make this a priority when selecting furniture, furnishings must match the function of the room.
- Hi-Leg Recliner – This Hi-Leg Recliner has the same features as the rest of the Frisco collection but on a slightly smaller scale. “Hi-Leg” refers to the taller legs on the item which give it a light, airy effect. This recliner is designed with appearance as a top priority, guests will never know it’s a recliner unless you want them to. How does it work?
- Power: The power reclining mechanism on the recliner may be its best feature. The control is located between the seat cushion and the inside arm so nothing is visible on the outside of the chair. A simple push of a discreet button allows you to change angles effortlessly from an upright to a fully reclined position.
- Manual: While not as effortless to use as the power recliner, the manual recliner has a slightly lower price tag. A gentle push on the arms and back of the recliner put you in a relaxed position.
- Sectional Configurations – The configuration possibilities are extensive within the Frisco collection. There are many pieces available to form just about any size or shape to perfectly fit your space. Big, small, L-shaped, U-shaped, chaise end…what can you dream up?!!
The Frisco living room set is manufactured by Flexsteel, a well-known furniture company founded in 1893 in Minneapolis as the Rolph & Ball Furniture Co. In the early 1900’s their signature blue steel base spring was developed and, in the midst of the Great Depression, that spring became the inspiration behind their new company name that remains today a symbol of quality, beauty and function.
PRINCETON SECTIONAL GROUP by England
The style of this beefy collection is defined by its minimalistic simplicity. The dramatically tailored profile has a cool, casual, contemporary look. If you’re looking for one of those living room furniture sets that embody luxury, look no further. This group includes a:
- Sectional – The components of this sectional follow its “no fuss” design style. Despite only a handful of pieces available, this sectional group can fulfill any room’s requirements regardless of its shape or size. Add hundreds of designer-approved fabric cover and accent pillow options to this versatility and it’s understandable why this modern frame is such a winner.
- Chair – The super-structured styling of this chair makes a grand gesture in any space. The height of the box seat cushion and wrap-around arms are highlights of this chair that is sure to be a substantial addition to your design scheme. Fabric cover options let you put your personal stamp on its
- Cocktail Ottoman – This chunky, square cocktail ottoman features sleek lines and oodles of versatility. It can be used alone as a filler accent piece, or it can be used with its companion chair, or it can be paired with a second ottoman and used as a cocktail table. Choose your favorite fabric cover and use it anywhere throughout your home.
The Princeton sectional group is manufactured by England Furniture who has been building quality upholstered furniture since 1964 in the foothills of East Tennessee. Founded by the England family, the company’s mission was to provide employment to the people of Appalachia. England is proud of their reputation for providing customers with a large choice of options and a rapid delivery system.
The Top Bedroom and Dining Room Furniture Sets of 2016
Now that we’ve taken a look at the hottest living room furniture sets of this past year, let’s see what was trending in bedroom and dining room furniture. Here are our most popular bedroom furniture sets and dining room furniture sets of 2016…
CENTENNIAL BEDROOM COLLECTION by ASPEN HOME
It’s no surprise why this bedroom collection makes our popularity list. Its classic design stylings have a comfortably familiar spin resulting in a warm but timeless effect. The relaxed feel of this group is characterized by distressed wood graining that perfectly complements simple but elegant hardware. The solid appeal of this collection is featured in each of its pieces. Build an entire suite around the items in this group or mix ‘n match for an eclectic twist. This bedroom set includes a:
- Sleigh Bed – A beautiful and truly timeless design highlighted by a sleigh shaped headboard and footboard. The design elements that define this collection can be seen throughout the bed giving what is normally a very traditional bed a casual spin. The taller footboard demands a larger bedroom space that will allow it to shine. The Sleigh Bed is available in both Queen and King sizes.
- Sleigh Bed with Storage Base – This sleigh bed defies today’s norm for storage beds. Typically, a storage bed is a bed that replaces the standard footboard with one that is lower in height and consists of two large drawers. In the case of the Centennial storage bed the curved sleigh-shaped footboard is maintained and the storage drawers are located on the sides of the bed. This design allows you the best of both worlds, a dramatic footboard AND extra storage. Most storage beds carry a higher price tag than their standard counterparts. They do, however, save you when purchasing a mattress set since these beds do not require a box spring as the storage drawers use the space where the box spring normally sits. It is important, though, to consider support for your mattress when eliminating a box spring. Our Sales Associates can help you better understand the details and differences in support systems.
- Triple Dresser & Mirror – This particular triple dresser has a lot of character. And, with nine drawers, provides tons of storage space. The two bottom drawers are big and deep for bulkier items such as sweaters. Four middle drawers are smaller in scale for lighter weight items and two felt-lined top drawers are perfect for jewelry or lingerie. The highlight of the dresser is the center door with swing pull hardware. It adds an extra design element to an already interesting piece of furniture. And speaking of hardware, notice the styling changes that stay proportionate to the size of the drawers.
- As with all Crowley Furniture bedroom sets, all pieces are sold individually so you can pick the exact pieces that will make you smile when you wake up in the morning. This includes our dressers and mirrors. This triple dresser is beautiful on its own or with its coordinating mirror topping it off. How to decide if you prefer a mirror or not? Ask yourself these questions:
- Is there a bathroom nearby that offers a handy mirror to check your bedhead or help you get ready when heading out for the day?
- Would you prefer to make your bedroom appear larger and more open? A mirror can help with that.
- What would you put in place of the mirror? Do you have artwork you want to show off in your bedroom space?
- What will you be placing on your dresser surface? Will these items have attractive backs since they will be reflected in the mirror?
- Chest – This bedroom Chest is stately and functional. With five drawers it can hold all shapes and sizes of items. The three lower drawers are wide and deep with a single drawer façade. The top drawer is sleek and narrow, perfect for ties and smaller garments and the second drawer has the appearance of being divided into two separate drawers but is actually only one. This design detail adds interest to the face of the chest while allowing you more space inside the drawer.
- Media Chest – If you need a TV in your bedroom but also don’t want to sacrifice storage space, this media chest is perfect for you. The TV can sit on top or be mounted directly above. The top drawer hinges down for easy access to your electronics and the glass fronts won’t interfere with your remote controls. The other three drawers are wide and deep to store whatever you need to keep tucked away. Optional wood panels can replace the glass fronts for additional hidden storage.
- Nightstand with Drawers – This nightstand with drawers has amazing features that will change your life!
- A pull-out drink tray will preserve the top surface wood.
- Built-in 3-way touch lighting provides the convenience of task lighting or ambiant lighting at the touch of a button.
- AC connections for accessories provide easy access to keep you powered up while you sleep.
This little guy is the perfect bedside companion. It’s drawers offer plentiful storage space to keep necessities close by but hidden from sight.
- Nightstand with Shelves – The design of this nightstand with shelves makes it a great multi-tasker. Two drawers provide storage and the top drawer contains built-in AC outlets. It also features built-in 3-way touch lighting for convenient lighting needs. The open shelf in the center of the nightstand allows you to stack items or display cherished keepsakes.
The Centennial collection is manufactured by Aspen Home. Aspen Home has evolved from a small family owned home entertainment business based in Phoenix to a full line furniture company that specializes in thoughtfully designed, innovative products for the home. The pride they take in their work can be seen throughout each of their collections.
MANGO DINING COLLECTION by WINNERS ONLY
The Mango Dining Collection is a fan favorite of both our customers and our Sales Associates. It’s design details lean towards rustic but in a classic, timeless manner. This dining set includes a:
- Classic Height Trestle Table – The classic height for a dining table is 30” high and accommodates a standard dining chair. The definition of a “trestle table” is a table consisting of a board or boards laid on trestles. And that is exactly what this table looks like. In a modern, sophisticated way! The wood detailing on the “trestles” and the metal corner accents on the table top beautifully define this table’s style. The tops are finished to perfection for long-lasting beauty.
- Counter Height Trestle Table – The counter height dining table is 36” high, the same height as standard kitchen counters (thus the name!). This table height requires a counter height stool (not to be confused with a bar height stool which is even taller) for comfortable seating. Counter height tables are currently quite popular and make a slightly more dramatic statement to a dining space. When determining if a counter height table is right for your dining area be sure to consider the space around the table. Will the added height block a spectacular view to the outside or exchanges with guests in an adjacent room? Also be sure you have enough right-height seating when you’re table is enlarged with its accompanying table leaves. You can’t pull a desk or side chair in from another spot like you can with a standard height table.
- Upholstered Side Chair – A side chair is a dining chair that does not have arms. (A dining chair with arms is labelled an arm chair.) The side chair in this collection has great details with a thick, horizontal slat back and a rich finish. The seat is upholstered in an easy-to-clean leather-look cover in a dark, neutral shade. The cushioned seat and sturdy back add comfort to this upholstered side chair.
- Upholstered Counter Height Stool – A counter height stool has a seat height of approximately 21”. It usually features the addition of stretchers around the base of the stool for added stability and a comfortable footrest.
- Upholstered Classic Height Dining Bench – This dining bench can be used at the classic height dining table as an unique replacement for the standard dining chair. In addition to adding interest to your set, it can seat more people than single dining chairs. It also makes a great seating surface in other areas of your home when guests come over.
- Upholstered Counter Height Dining Bench – This dining bench can be used with a taller counter height dining table. A dining bench is a great way to maximize table space. Stretchers around the base of the bench provide additional stability and the comfort of a footrest.
- Sideboard – The dining room sideboard, sometimes referred to as a server or buffet, is a multi-functional piece of furniture that can be used in just about any area of the home. Its features are sometimes specific to a dining setting but that doesn’t limit its flexibility. This sideboard has three top drawers and two doors to keep your space tidy and organized. Its adjustable wine storage cubby holds glasses and bottles. Let your imagination run free and consider placing this server in a foyer, guest room or hallway.
The Mango Dining Collection is manufactured by Winners Only. Founded in 1988, Winners Only is an industry leader in manufacturing and distributing quality furniture with great value. Based in Vista, California, Winners Only specializes in Bedroom, Dining Room and Home Entertainment furniture.
What will happen in 2017?
It’s easy to see why these groups made our greatest hits list this past year. Quality, versatility and value is clearly important to our Kansas City customers. It is our commitment to continue to provide the products you love at a price you deserve backed by service you can trust.
Will these Top 3 Living Room Furniture Sets of 2016 reign supreme in 2017? Stay tuned to find out…