Most people will buy just a handful of mattresses over their lifetimes. Due to their expense, it is important that the buyer picks the right mattress that they will be happy with for years to come. Here are 5 tips that can help:
1. Firm mattresses may not be better for your back. Think twice before buying a hard or firm mattress, as research has shown that the best mattress for low back pain is a medium firm mattress rather than a firm mattress. There is a difference between firm support and firm feel. You want firm support with a comfortable feel. Comfort will be determined by your personal preference.
2. Pillow tops aren’t for everyone. While these mattresses are very soft to the touch they are not necessarily for everyone. Very light-weight people don’t need big thick pillow top mattresses because they don’t weigh enough to compress the foam to even touch the underlying coils/support system. On the flip side, larger/heavier people tend to feel more comfortable with a little extra cushion between them and the coils.
3. Adjustable beds in Kansas City are catching on with more buyers. If you find you are more comfortable sitting in a recliner than lying down, try an adjustable bed. They allow you to elevate your head and knees slightly to relieve pressure on the lower back. You can also create the same effect using pillows.
4. Check out all the options and variations. Give yourself a comfort test if the salesperson doesn’t offer you one. Ask to try a firm, a plush, and a pillow top in the same brand quality and price point. Lay on each one for 10-15 minutes. When you find the most comfortable type of mattress, ask to see more of that kind.
5. Shop at a store that offers a wide selection of manufacturers and choices. Crowley Furniture is wonderful place to ‘test drive’ a wide variety of mattresses in Kansas City. We carry major brands such as Sealy, Serta, Simmons, and Tempurpedic.
Remember, it’s your mattress, your back, and your money, so it’s worth the time to research it and get the best mattress possible.